A lot of people enjoy adding garage shelving units for storage, but they can offer much more than that. Check out some of the best ways to use shelving in this post.
Too often, people just use the garage to park cars and store extra stuff. However, if you take the time to read up on these great garage shelf ideas, you’ll find plenty of ways to enhance the garage function and style at the same time.
In this guide, we’ll take a look at all of the options with garage shelving and shelf systems to help you see what’s out there. We’ll also cover what you need to know to create a space that works in your garage.
Do you like this garage door? This is an Eastman E-11, 10'x7', Desert Sand door and overlays, 8 lite Panoramic windows
Start with a Little Prep
Before you get too far, take the time to do a few basic things. Think about what you’re going to be storing and how it’s going to be best kept. Are you just storing tools and supplies, or are you going to store keepsakes and family heirlooms that need protection?
The garage sees a lot of moisture, thanks to humidity and temperature changes. Make sure you check for signs of condensation that could indicate that you need to do some other work before you start installing new shelving. What’s the risk with condensation?
Condensation Leads To:
● Metal objects developing rust
● Cloth and paper getting mildew or mold
● Damage to old photographs
● Damage to paint, picture frames, and documents
● Serious mold growth in severe cases
So, if you have issues, what can you do? Start with checking out the seals on your garage, including those around your garage door windows and the seal around your garage door.
If you don’t think you are up to the job, that’s fine. Call one of the pros to do a good once-over and make sure the space is sealed well.
Now, let’s talk about the reason you’re here: the best garage shelf ideas and what they can do for your space.
Conventional Shelf Systems
Garage shelving comes in various styles, including plastic, metal and wood, and all-metal designs. You can find freestanding units and built-ins, and they can be set up any way that you’d like. Plus, they add a lot of value to your home and garage.
Spruce up your choices with a coat of paint or another upgrade, since most shelves are pretty plain to begin with. Let’s look at the options and what they offer, and then you can go from there.
You like getting things organized AND cute? See these 25 garage door storage ideas from Abby Lawson, justagirlandherblog.com
Exploring the Available Shelf Systems
● Plastic – Plastic shelving is cheap and easy to find, on the shelves of most local home improvement stores and big-box retailers. These shelves are durable and come in several styles. Plus, despite their plastic material, they can often hold more weight than you expect. If you do need storage for heavy tools or liquids, this might not be the best option, though.
● Metal/Wood – Combination metal and wood shelving offers a sturdier option, and they are widely available. They generally include a metal frame and shelves that are comprised of wood, pressboard, or plywood. Bear in mind that these are more durable, but still not as strong as an all-metal option. Wood may also stain, warp, or become damaged over time.
● All-Metal – This is the best option for strong shelving that will stand the test of time. You can find wire units and solid shelves alike. Bear in mind, of course, that these shelves are generally utilitarian and not as stylish.
If you want to save space, you can consider wall-mounted shelving. These shelves are generally sold as single units, but anchor to the wall and come in metal, wood and metal, or even all-wood designs.
Things to Consider with Wall-Mounted Shelves
● Wall-mounted shelving saves valuable floor space.
● These shelves may not provide the same amount of storage as a freestanding unit.
● Wall-mounted shelves are flexible because they can be installed anywhere they are needed.
● Wall-mounted shelving is often easier to stylize or fit into a design, making them the better choice for those who want something more than a utility shelf.
Overhead Shelf Systems
Finally, there is the overhead shelf system, which is typically made of metal and attached to the ceiling by upright supports that hold the shelving in place.
Browse these 10 Great Overhead Storage Ideas For The Garage from Homedit
Overhead Shelving Considerations
● An overhead shelf will free up all of your floor space so that you can park cars or do anything else you need.
● You will need to make sure the shelves don’t get in the way of the garage door.
● There are specialty shelving units designed specifically to fit over the garage door and utilize that dead space.
● You won’t get as much volume from overhead shelving and storage, but it can definitely improve the user-friendliness of the space.
When you have the right shelving units, you can add storage and style at the same time. While you’re making this decision, be sure to take a closer look around the garage.
Are your garage door tracks in need of maintenance? Perhaps the door itself could use a little TLC. Now is the time to address those issues and you should contact the professionals to help.
Another thing to consider is replacing your garage door. If it’s old and poorly insulated, it could be costing you more than you think. Plus, you don’t have to spend a fortune. Find out more about the cost of a garage door.
Do you like full-view garage doors? These are California, 6'x8'-6" and 16'x 8'-6", Black aluminum frame, Sandblasted glass
Is It Time for a New Garage Door?
Contact the local garage door experts in your area to learn about the options, as well as maintenance and repair services that can be performed at the same time.
We will help you find the best solution to maximize your storage without compromising your garage space, all while tying in with the design and curb appeal of your home.
Doormasters is ready to help when you reach out. Get a quotation via email for a simple, hassle-free estimate.
Not sure about your home’s style? Check out our 3 styles to help determine which style of garage door will best fit your space.
Call us at 1-800-886-9409.
We can help you make the right decision for your garage and keep you informed.
You can also check out the Design Centre. There, you’ll be able to upload a picture of your home and try out different styles to find the perfect fit.
Still on the fence?
Check out all of the beautiful garage doors you can choose from here. See what’s trending and get inspired to upgrade your design.
Add new comment